What is it?
The Little Black Dress Initiative (LBDI) is a week-long, social media-driven fundraising campaign that raises awareness about poverty and its effects on women in society. Throughout the week, participants share posts on social media to drive online donations by raising awareness of the effects of poverty in London and how the JLL supports anti-poverty initiatives.
LBDI aims to spotlight the effects that poverty can have on an individual’s access to resources including professional attire and the far-reaching toll this can take on confidence and professional opportunities. In the past LBDI campaigners wore a black dress each day of the campaign to highlight this. We relaunched the campaign to shift the emphasis from what we wear to what we do – the little things that can make a big difference. So campaigners might wear the same outfit all week, run a clothing drive, or simply wear the LBDI badge and advocate for the cause. The overall aims of the campaign remain the same.
Since our first campaign, the LBDI has raised over £190,000 in London and the initiative has expanded to over 100 Junior Leagues across the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada, collectively raising millions towards our global mission.
The positive impact of this global poverty initiative is a testament to the Junior League’s mission to advance women’s leadership for meaningful community impact through volunteer action, collaboration and training.
This year LBDI is anchored in London Challenge Poverty Week and the need for help is greater than ever. The Trust for London states that after housing costs:
- 27% of Londoners are living in poverty
- 39% of Londoners living in non-white households are living in poverty
- 53% of single parents in London are living in poverty
New research from Shelter shows at least 271,000 people are recorded as homeless in England, including 123,000 children.
How to support JLL’s LBDI 2023
There are a few ways to get involved in the Junior League of London’s LBDI 2023 campaign:
- Sign-up to participate as a campaigner. We invite you to post about the experience on social media to raise awareness and funds. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Show your support by donating to LBDI either through our JustGiving page or another campaigner’s page.
- Raise awareness about the effects of poverty and the programmes that are seeking to end it by following the Junior League of London and our community partners on social media and liking and sharing LBDI 2023 Campaign posts with the Initiative hashtag #LBDI and #ThisJLLCan.
- Donate clothing items to our Community Partners (Smart Works, Wrap Up London, Migrants Organise) or organise your own.
- Purchase LBDI merchandise via our RedBubble store.
Thank you in advance for your support and good luck to all of our campaigners this year!